Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We Are all Silver Stars

I've been working in Customer Service for a Mercedes dealership in Montreal now for about 6 months. Most call centers I've been working in the past two years were in debt collection, but after so many years of doing it I was just burnt out, and management in those places could care less how you are - you are there to make money, or make way for someone else who will sit in your seat the next day.
Debt collection centers have really high turn over rates because the ones who are managing you get pressure from some head office who are seeing their own pocket money go lower if their centers aren't producing dollar figures every minute of the day...
So it was time to get off the hamster wheel. Unfortunately the day I got off the hamster wheel was one of the final paydays before Christmas, and noone hires over the holidays so ... I had a holiday.
January came in with a couple of good offers for some other popular call centers in the Montreal area, but when Mercedes called me, I had to interview to see what was being propositioned.
It is a little far for me to commute but 6 months later I'm still here bright and early and by 4o'clock I'm already downtown with plenty of spare time for other activities.
My latest activity does include studying towards my residential realtor's license. I was accepted for funding by my native community's Employment & Training department, so I now have classes 4 times a week from 6:00pm to 10:00pm Mondays thru Thursdays, and Fridays I head to a cottage about an hour east of Montreal to unwind, have some drinks with friends and breathe in all that fresh farmland air ;)
During the week I do sleep about 6 hours maximum per night - I get to my apartment around 11 at night and by the time sleep sets in its about midnight.
6:00am I awaken and after showering, putting my lunch together and walking out the door, it's 7:00am.
7:00am I'm on a metro heading northeast towards the Dorval airport to make it here to my desk by 7:30am (after stopping off at a local Tim Horton's for my morning coffee).
3:30pm I'm finishing up work, heading to a metro and then it's back to the apartment to change and then head to class after picking up my books.
10:30pm I'm finished classes and heading back to the metro to make it back to the apartment for 11:00pm.
An hour later after showering, eating a small snack and cleaning up around the apartment, I hit the bed and by around midnight I'm asleep until 6:00am and I do it all again... Mondays thru Thursdays...
I'll be doing this for the next 6 months. And some people think I don't have dedication... heh heh
So I don't really have a life right now, but hopefully it shakes up for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment